This is my quite well known defragmenter based on Microsoft/Sysinternals Contig core. They provide the core component, the heart of defragmentation process, i’ve provided the user interface for it. And so far users just love it. It’s not perfect but it’s close. Also a winner of 4 stars at SoftPedia.
Version 3.1 (2013-05-18):
– Fixed URL addresses in the GUI and program functions
– Simplified Contig download and setup (now almost fully automatic)
– Removed PowerMode(TM) because of compatibility problems with Windows Vista
– Introduced TriplePass(TM) mode replacing obsolete PowerMode(TM)*
– Added ability to defragment removable drives (mostly floppy and USB hard drives**)
– Fixed few glitches
– New Vista style graphics
* TripleMode(TM) runs Contig in 3 passes defragmenting any remaining fragmented files
** don’t use on USB flash and SSD drives as they are basically immune to the file fragmentation due to almost non existent access latency. Defragmenting flash devices also decreases their lifetime.
6 thoughts on “Power Defragmenter 3.1”
Hi it still have any update for new version contig v1.8 ?
Sorry, no. I’m not aware of any changelog and since I’m now 100% on SSD on all my devices I’m not really following defrag scene much.
great app! thanks!
Contig 1.8 is available in both 32 and 64 bit versions. Does Power Defrag 3.1 detect which version to use? (I just renamed the ’64 and it worked fine.) Also, does PD 3.1 cover the latest set of command line options? Thanks for a very usable GUI for Contig.
Yeah, Contig doesn’t differentiate 32bit or 64bit because I have no mechanism to detect OS bit version. 32bit works on all versions anyway and I don’t think there is any realistic difference in speed. But like you said, you can rename the EXE and it’ll load it the same. No plans to change that, sorry.