As a big Killing Floor game series fan, I was fiddling a lot with its engine and found out quite some really nice tweaks and settings as well as designed few of my own. Since fiddling with INI files isn’t always the easiest way, I’ve made a simple GUI driven tweaker for Killing Floor 2.
If you are experiencing any technical (like crashing), graphics or performance issues, please perform “RESTORE DEFAULTS” to see if it makes any difference before contacting Tripwire Interactive (Killing Floor 2 developers). I don’t want to create them additional work because some tweak interfered with the game itself. If problem persists even after restoring default settings, then contact them for technical support. Thank you.
- Automatically detects Killing Floor 2 settings files. Fully portable!
- Control hidden graphics and performance settings
- Enhanced audio quality and performance settings
- Enhanced gore level selection with 6 presets ranging from no gore to insane 100x times the original gore
- Easy to use with descriptions and ability to restore tweaks to default settings in just few clicks. No more messed up INI settings!
- Fixed Medium Rendering distance typo (from 75% to 25%)
- Added extra EXE descriptions in the program itself
- Fixed typo in “Disable intro videos description”
- Added dividers between tweaks and grouped them a bit for easier navigation
- Added extra Rendering distance options
- Fixed typo in Rendering distance help
- Fixed Rendering distance Help button which was named “About” instead of “Help”
- Fixed Copyright variable to show correct year
- Added option to Backup and Restore Key Binds (now you have LOCK/UNLOCK and BACKUP/RESTORE options). Using BACKUP option overwrites last backup copy so be careful when you’re using it. Might be useful as additional safeguard against Key Binds resetting bug that still seems to be a thing…
- Renamed “Extreme Draw Distance” to “Rendering Distance” and moved it from “Graphics Settings” to main KF2 Tweaker selection menu.
- “Rendering Distance” tweak section now offers 5 rendering distance presets ranging from Ultra Low for people who need every drop of performance to Ultra for people who run top of the line computers and want maximum visual quality with zero objects popping into view, anywhere.
- Added “Compatibility Patches” feature which currently fixes game sometimes crashing to Windows desktop with BugSplat dialog when trying to join server/map due to faulty auto set Unreal Engine Garbage Collection parameters on some systems (mine included).
- Added “Extreme Draw Distance” tweak.
This feature dramatically enhances draw (rendering) distance of decals and other minor objects in the game world beyond Ultra settings. Most notable is on Zed Landing and Black Forest where grass on the ground, bushes and other “greens” are not popping into existence at certain rather short distances, but are rendered as far away as eyes can see.
- Added “Protect Key Bindings” feature to prevent unwanted random Key Bindings resets (sets KFInput.ini as read-only). Please report if controls still reset even when protection is enabled (changing Enhanced Dosh Throwing resets the protection!).
- Added “Long Distance Detailed Shadows” under Graphics Settings. Makes shadows far away more detailed without the higher performance hit of the “Ultra High Quality Shadows” mode.
- Few text changes
- Totally redesigned Disable Intro Videos feature (doesn’t affect credits and loading screens anymore)
- Added ability to throw 250, 1000 or 5000 dosh with “M” key
- Added ability to instantly open Killing Floor 2 Config folder without having to manually navigate to it
- Added ability to supply a custom Documents path (by using MyDocsPath.txt file next to KF2 Tweaker) specifying non-admin user documents manually (Thx Jarial89 for testing 🙂 )
- Updated the startup warning message if INI files are not found
- Added warning for required Admin rights. Without it, KF2 Tweaker cannot automatically detect correct Config folder location and will thus fail to operate
- Removed description for Smooth Framerate in the old Help location
- Updated description for Conservative Shadow Bounds
- Fixed few minor typos
- Dramatically improved Ultra High Quality Shadows feature (smoother shadows edges, higher shadows resolution and higher shadows draw distance)
- Removed old “Smooth Framerate” setting under “Performance” section and replaced it with full separate controls for it
- Redesigned RESTORE DEFAULTS once again, making it faster to use and more granular on a single settings page
- RESTORE DEFAULTS doesn’t touch INI files that are not in any way manipulated by KF2 Tweaker (except RESET ALL option)
- Improved 3D Audio settings
- Updated settings descriptions
- Minor bug fixes
Recommended to reset “Engine Settings” and “Game System Settings” and re-apply tweaks again due to significant changes in KF2 Tweaker. Not doing so may leave certain tweaks unchanged “in the background” without controls to change them back.
- Removed both of old “Restore Defaults” features because many settings don’t have absolute defaults, but depend on system you’re running KF2 on.
- Added separate “Restore Keybinds Defaults” option to only reset keybinds to game default.
- Added new “Restore Defaults” which resets all settings back to your system defaults except keybinds.
- Added “Smooth Framerate” toggle
- Added “Instanced Rendering” toggle
- Added “Compute Bloom and SSAO” toggle
- Added “Combine Similar Mappings” toggle
- Added “System Memory Usage (RAM)” allowing you to dedicate more system memory (RAM) to KF2.
- Updated many settings descriptions
- Minor bug fixes
Descriptions for each new setting can be found inside KF2 Tweaker by clicking “Help” button in lower left corner of each settings panel.
- Added “Ultra High Quality Shadows” option under new “Graphics Settings”
- Added “Clear Download Cache” option
- New “Total Settings Reset” (useful when things go really bad so you can reset ALL game settings to default)
- “Reset Settings” renamed to “Restore Defaults”
- Updated certain dialogs to better support the new “Total Settings Reset” feature
Total Settings Reset feature does NOT reset achievements or perk progress!
- Very High and Insane gore presets now only increase amount of corpses and gibs, but not blood. It looks better this way.
- Fixed Help arrangement for Texture Streaming Control panel
- Other misc text fixes
Due to gore presets changes, I recommend re-applying a desired gore preset to apply new changes from this build.
- Removed all graphics tweaks because Tripwire hard blocked them in game code
- Removed Post Process AA tweaks because Tripwire hard blocked them in game code
- Reset of graphic settings back to default is recommended within a game
Tripwire, why the hell did you block all this!? Self-Shadowing and MLAA wasn’t causing any problems!
- Adjusted high quality shadows setting
- Added High Quality Lighting setting
- Changed gore explanations a bit
- Advanced Soft Shadows renamed to PCF Shadows
- Added High Quality Bloom option
- Added High Quality Materials option
- Added High Quality Shadows option
- Added PostProcess AA settings and new MLAA anti-aliasing mode
- Added Conservative Shadow bounds option
- Several minor text fixes
- Renamed “Efficient Multi-Threading” to “Multi-Threading” and updated description for it.
- Added option to control mouse acceleration
- Added option to control mouse movement scaling
- Added Efficient Multi-Threading option
- Added tessellation optimization
- Few minor text fixes
- Option to disable intro videos
- New High Quality Reflections setting
- Added streaming of textures only setting
- Added permanent objects memory setting
- Added Minimum desired framerate option
- Further tweaked “Normal” gore preset
- Redesigned “Reset Settings” to only reset settings modified by the tweaker back to defaults
- Few minor text fixes
- Redesigned tweaks categories selection panel
- Re-arranged certain tweaks into their own category
- Added several advanced Texture Streaming settings
- Added Texture Streaming Memory tweak
- Added controls to quickly and easily reset game settings back to default
- Fixed Exit text on Gore Control page
- Other misc fixes
1.0 Initial release (2016-02-27)
- Controls for hidden graphics and audio performance settings
- Extended gore control with 6 predefined levels