avast! Antivirus Free, being one of the most popular free antiviruses in the world, I’ve decided to make a tweaked configuration file for it. The file is official avast! configuration file backup, so no obfuscated self-extracting packages or 3rd party installers.
Currently supported avast! version (older versions are archived):
avast! Antivirus 2016 (version 12.x)
My configuration includes:
- All Active Protection Shields set to High heuristics
- All On-Demand scans tweaked to provide optimal system performance and scan speed
- PUP detection enabled for Quick, Smart, Full and explorer right-click scan
- Sounds disabled
- Renamed default infected e-mail note from *** VIRUS *** to *** INFECTED ATTACHMENT ***
- Disabled data sharing with 3rd parties (CommunityIQ is still enabled though!)
Settings that are now included in avast! out of the box:
- Automatic program updates enabled
- Tray icon animation disabled
- Disabled avast! notes inserted into clean e-mails
Main goal of my configuration:
Main goal of my customized avast! configuration is to provide the least intrusive experience with maximum protection, performance and privacy. It is as simple as that.
You’ll first need avast! installed:
Configuration file download:
How to apply:
Make sure avast! is installed properly (otherwise the configuration file won’t work!). Download the above ZIP file, unpack it and double click the contained file. System restart is recommended for all the changes to be applied properly. That’s it, no further user interaction is required.