I’ve been hanging around GamerGate community, standing with the minorities and defending games together with them, side by side. But few days ago, I asked myself, what exactly is our opposition even fighting for? We are just deflecting silly allegations and stupid baseless stuff being thrown at us by the single radical users, but what is their real main goal as a group/community?
Here is my personal view on how I see the whole conflict, at least from my GamerGater/gamer/game developer perspective. Italic parts further describe my thoughts on that matter…
GamerGate mission briefing:
– Get rid of corrupt journalists and destroy their networks of friendship ties that affect the gaming industry in a negative way. After all, primary goal of ALL factual journalists should be objectivity.
If you’re wondering if your hard-earned 40-60 € ($45-65) for a game will be a well spent money, you want and demand objectivity. This is corruption and I’ve been aware of it since the late 90’s. But internet was a rarity back then and something like GamerGate could never actually happen without it. That’s why GamerGate does exist today and not already 15+ years ago. Gamers demanding ethical journalism certainly makes sense to me. Everyone should demand that, even outside gaming industry.
– Defend games, developers and other gamers, particularly those in minorities and encourage more of them to join in, portraying gaming community and gaming culture in a realistic way (which is positive and not a negative like general media has been portraying us for the last several years and decades).
The diversity of the gamers is massive and there are tons of different games to choose from. Saying there aren’t enough different kinds of them is a big fat lie. Also demanding everyone to change just because YOU don’t like something is just straight silly.
– All this has to be achieved through evidence, valid statistics and logic as much as possible.
There are emotions involved, we are humans after all, but every argument has to stand on a solid foundations of evidence. Saying “just because” simply doesn’t cut it for us GamerGate crowd. As much as this should apply to our opposition, it also has to apply to us as well. And it’s something we strive for.
– Large if not massive majority of us do it absolutely free of charge, because this is my hobby, my passion and I don’t want to see it get all ruined. I don’t have any financial gain what so ever. No donations, no Patreon, no ads, no sponsors, nothing. Some have their Patreons, I’m aware of that, but nothing on levels of cash hoarding of Anita Sarkeesian or Brianna Wu. The largest fundraisers that were made for GamerGate were in fact donations for good causes and not a profit of a single person.
Anti-GamerGater mission briefing (my view on it as gamer and GamerGater):
– Ignoring us with the stupid autoblocker (how is that suppose to solve things, I don’t know).
Guilt by association is the most illogical thing I’ve ever seen. If I listen to Sargon of Akkad or other prominent GamerGaters, that doesn’t mean I absolutely agree with them on everything. I do have my own mind and I know how to Google and verify things. I just need them to be presented to me so I at least know where to begin. And these people are really good at digging and presenting factual data, that’s why we like to listen to their opinions. I’ve been in arguments with Anti-GamerGaters and I’ve silenced them with facts, not the BLOCK button (which I haven’t used at all so far). Why don’t more Anti-GamerGaters do this instead of generic autoblocking?
– Fabricating “facts”, statistics, twisting data to fit their needs and using pseudo-science to make some sort of point. And when they can’t prove something, they either block you or start covering up evidences of their fuckups (again, internet never forgets, people should have this burned into their foreheads by now).
Majority of arguments that I had and have seen, ended up with “fuck you” or other insult from the anti-GamerGate/feminists side and then a block. All this is very counter productive. Yes? And yeah, even GamerGaters fuck up their arguments, but I frankly haven’t seen any so obviously bad as the ones from the other side...
– Portraying ALL gamers as misogynist straight white male rapists and deliberately ignoring everyone who don’t fall into this group, because they aren’t fueling their narrative (just check the #NotYourShield hashtag and see the actual diversity of gamers).
I’m just not really sure what that narrative is exactly, to be honest, which is partially the reason for this “open letter”.
– Deliberately ignoring all the things said by actual women in the gaming industry and they also ignore everything proper feminists say on this matter.
I mean, why would women and other minorities lie about their experience as developers and gamers in this very moment, when they could benefit the most from spilling out their frustrations (if there really were/are any)? All I can see is these very same women and minorities standing on the GamerGate’s side, defending it…
– Profit. The loudest Anti-GamerGaters run their donations, Patreons and kickstarters/fundraisers like mad. And every time they scream harassment, they point people to these funding sources.
Brianna Wu and Anita Sarkeesian, right? The biggest “victims” with the largest wallets at the moment. I’m just surprised no one from the Anti-GamerGate camp questions their motives and the funds involved… I know I would if I were on their side. I frankly wouldn’t even mind any of them having financial gain if it was done through facts and honesty. But it has been proven countless times that they twist reality so badly it almost seems like parody in the end, just to get attention and therefore a steady stream of income. Think about it for a bit…
What is the real Anti-GamerGater mission briefing?
So, there it is. I’d really like to hear what exactly are people in Anti-GamerGate community even standing for? What do they actually want to achieve as a larger group?
Because I’m confused by their behavior which just doesn’t line up with what they are supposedly trying to “defend”. I’m genuinely interested in hearing what is their goal. Throwing insults back and forth won’t solve anything and we could go on like this for months and months. Gamers have the stamina for that, you can trust me on that because we never give up, but I’m frankly tired already of not meeting some proper common ground in this worldwide internet conflict.
My blog is fully open and doesn’t require registration, but I kindly request that you write below in a civilized manner. I will not delete or censor opinions that might be different from my own, but I will not tolerate insults, pointless single liners and other crap which will get sanctioned swiftly. This goes for both sides, GG and anti-GG.